A HISTORY OF QUALITY
Toni Alba Koefia born in Ravenna on 6th April. During her school years, her interest for fashion increased, and she started practising in millinery and fashion ateliers. At the age of 16, she projected a new technique that was quite revolutionary in those years: it consisted in not cutting patterns on a plane surface but modelling them directly on the mannequin, in this way presenting a three-dimensional vision of the paper pattern.
In the thirties/forties of last century, she became the owner of a maison that produced paper patterns. It was located first in Forlì (Primary Maison of Fashion Patterns) and then in Ravenna. Her patterns were requested by the best fashion ateliers all over Europe. At the beginning of the Second World War, she moved to Florence together with her husband Count Ugo Brasini.
A few years after the end of the Second World War, she was again in a position to resume her work. She thought it would be useful to found an academy, and she did so in 1951 in Rome. The chosen seat was Palazzo Menotti, Via Vittoria Colonna 30, and she named it International Academy of Haute Couture and Art of Costume Koefia. The academy courses covered fashion design and pattern making, with the addition of a course for models: it was a real academy for fashion designers and models. In 1955 Italian and foreign girl students totaled 400 units who followed the Koefia mehod. In those years, the Academy established important contacts with Haue Couture representatives like Emilio Federico Schuberth who was enrolled as a teacher. The Koefia International Academy of Haute Couture and Art of the Costume was the first in Italy to enjoy the Ministry of Education’s patronage. In 1954, the Academy published the first and sole issue of a magazine entitled “Haute Couture Review of Koefia, the Maison That Creates Haute Couture Patterns”. This issue was sent to all the ateliers that had requested it. In 1961, the Academy took part in the National Costume Competition for the creation of costumes copied from historical documents produced by master tailors and fashion schools for the 1st Centennary of Italy’s unification. During the ceremony “Torino 61”, Teatro Carignano, Turin, Countess Koefia was given the Gold Medal for the creation of Teresa Confalonieri’s dress sewn by her students.
The Academy participates in numerous international events like those that the CONCOURS INTERNATIONAL DES JEUNES CRÉATEURS DE MODE juried by important designers like Pierre Cardin, Paco Rabanne, Sonia Rykiel, and Christian Lacroix. The competition takes place in Paris every year sponsored by Air France under the Chambre Syndacale’s patronage. In the same years, the Academy establishes a cooperation relationship with the Fashion Institute of Design & Merchandising, Los Angeles. As a result, the two institutions’ students can enjoy the possibility of exchanges and specialist courses abroad. The Academy further consolidates its presence in China where its teachers hold Haut Couture courses. It also takes part in the HEMPEL AWARD, an international competition for young fashion designers held during the Beijing Fashion Week.
The Academy starts a series of cooperation ventures with important domestic and foreign institutions.
- 2000 Fashion design courses, University of Florence
- 2007 Fashion design courses, Rome University, LA SAPIENZA
- 2009 Cooperation with Istituto Secoli, Milan
- 2012 Cooperation and students exchange with BIFT – Beijing Institute of Fashion & Technology
- 2014 Accreditation with EABHES for European Bachelor and Master Degree
The INTERNATIONAL ACCADEMY OF HIGH FASHION AND ART OF THE KOEFIA COSTUME has been accredited by E.A.B.H.E.S. since 1/03/2014. European Accreditation Board of Higher Education Schools
E.A.B.H.E.S. recognizes and approves the qualifications issued by its members and accredits them as European Bachelor and Master, introducing the system of capitalization of educational credits. High quality European schools and universities belong to E.A.B.H.E.S., certified for the excellence of their education.
The Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees were originally North American university degrees, adopted all over the world and in Europe too since a considerable time. The obtaining of these degrees is subject to the capitalization of credits, where credit is intended as a tool for evaluating the work carried out and the skills acquired.
The Bachelor is, in the European system, the academic title awarded following a course of study of conventional duration of three years and the achievement of 180 ECTS credits. Credits have different values according to the specific educational system of each country and for each specificity, the kind of initial training followed and the intensity of the courses. Thanks to the equivalence system, students enrolled in individual accredited educational institutions can have their subjects accredited to an annual credit bulletin. Each program assigns a different number of credits to the subjects according to the course and specialization, therefore the courses do not all receive the same number of credits. To obtain a European Bachelor’s degree, you must hold an English-language certificate at level B2; this certificate can be obtained after two years following the end of the three academic years.
Masters courses are open to students with a Bachelor’s degree or equivalent. The duration is one year (1st level Master – 60 ECTS credits) or two years (2nd level Master – 120 ECTS credits). A Bachelor student can then apply to enrol in a Master’s degree.
The level of acceptance is specific to each institution, so the applicant cannot claim automatic equivalence.
WHY TO STUDY FASHION IN KOEFIA INTERNATIONAL FASHION ACADEMY?
- Over 60 years of excellence – Since 1951, Koefia Academy prepares young and professionals to the secrets of the Italian Haute Couture (High Fashion, Customized fashion) production process form designing to manufacture clothes and collections. The prestige of this deep-rooted school together with the skills earned allow covering prestigious positions in important fashion companies.
- Accreditation – The Lazio Region (public institution) accredits Koefia Academy Koefia for Executive Courses. The Undergraduate and Postgraduate Courses are accredited by E.A.B.H.E.S. as “Bologna Compliant” Bachelor (EQF/ISCED 6) and Master (EQF/ISCED 7).
Reputation. Studying at Koefia means obtaining a Degree in one of the best Italian Fashion Schools classified in CEO, Fashionista and BoF (Business of Fashion) rankings. Studying in Koefia is synonymous with professional competence.
- Reputation – Studying at Koefia means obtaining a Degree in one of the best Italian Fashion Schools classified in CEO, Fashionista and BoF (Business of Fashion) rankings. Studying in Koefia is synonymous with professional competence.
- Curriculum – The educational programs is compliant with international standards. Koefia Alumni have to decide if starting to work in fashion companies or continue in other international institutions with the certainty of having his/her learning outcomes recognised.
- Placement of students in the haute couture environment – Along the training, students participate in several events, competitions and fashion shows. Therefore, our students live a “full immersion” within the world of fashion working close with professionals, designers, stylist, and fashion businesspersons. Studying in Koefia students not simply are following a course but they attend the spirit of the international Haute Couture. This is important: all the extracurricular activities of Koefia Academy are included in the Tuition Fee. The same for internships.
- Multiculturalism – Many students attend Koefia International Fashion Academy from other European and non-European countries. Studying in Koefia means meet the Italian Culture enriching your experience in a meaningful way.
- Study in Rome – Accademia Koefia is located in the town centre of Rome, where the Italian Fashion was born. Studying fashion in Rome close to the Basilica of San Pietro is an impressive experience that fantastic experience that enriched life.
- Koefia students are a family – In our school, each student is unique. Anyone has an individual talent to discover and nurture. We prepare students for a future that we can foresee, fostering their humanity, investing in their talents and empowering them to invent and create fashion by intelligence and ability, by competence and professionalism. Masters and students work together to train the future fashion executives.
YEARS OF HISTORY